It's time to give in, folks: to the craving of all things pumpkin! And not just pumpkin "flavored" things like the Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte that doesn't contain any actual pumpkin, but the real deal, 100% pumpkin puree. This time of year I put it in everything: pancakes, muffins, chili, cranberry relish, and yes of course... pie. I decided this year I needed to up the pumpkin ante by adding in lots and lots of chocolate.
Introducing Double Chocolate Pumpkin Muffins:
You are going to want to make these all season long. They are:
- perfectly moist
- light and fluffy
- decadent and chocolate-y
- filled with a few hidden good-for-you things
- completely satisfying
Chocolate almondmilk, chunks of dark chocolate, and cocoa powder give the muffins their decadence.
Pumpkin, coconut oil, and black beans give them a nourishing boost and wash away any possible guilt for devouring 2 or 3 at a time! They happen to be vegan chocolate pumpkin muffins, because I am avoiding all dairy and it's just so easy to sub in ground flax (FULL of omega-3s, antioxidants, and fiber) instead of eggs.
- What is your favorite pumpkin-filled recipe?
- Do you love the chocolate/pumpkin combo?
Double Chocolate Pumpkin Muffins
Double Chocolate Pumpkin Muffins // via Nosh and Nourish #dairyfree #vegan #recipe
2 flax eggs = 2 tbsp of ground flax + 6 tbsp warm water, refrigerated for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Make your flax eggs.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the pumpkin puree, black beans, chocolate almondmilk, and coconut oil. Use an immersion stick blender to puree, or mash well with a fork.
- Add in the cocoa powder, coconut sugar, cinnamon, cloves, and flax eggs. Stir with a fork to combine.
- In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, and sea salt. Mix well, then slowly add it in to the wet mixture.
- Once combined, stir in the chocolate chips.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until the muffins are cooked through.
- Adorn with pumpkin butter and additional chocolate chips (optional)
Yields 12 Muffins